Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My first week abroad





I've been in Marburg a little over a week now and things are slowly getting better. There's always that surreal element when you step into another culture but mine was doubly difficult having just studied in Nicaragua and replying to the Germans in Spanish. That was interesting, let me tell ya. I also caught a nasty cold somewhere between here and Chicago which has left me a little short of medicine and with a runny nose. The language has been a bit harder to understand than I was hoping but I am slowly easing into the culture and making myself understood. Fortunately, most of the Germans speak just enough English and I speak just enough German to be understood, I think.




I live in Forsthof Nebenhaus, which is in the Upper City. I have a surprising large room that I'm not entirely sure what to do with but hope to make it my own in the near future. I've located a few grocery stores and bakeries which keep my stomach happy although I am looking forward to eating in the Mensa once classes begin. Marburg is a beautifully, historical city. I believe someone told me that parts of the Schloss were laid in the 900s. Oh, if walls could talk. There is also a charming garden near the Schloss that has allowed me to spend many a happy hour reading or just enjoying the sunshine. The hike up the hillside is worth it. No, I haven't tried my first German beer yet but some people from my house and I are going out this Friday to a pub that plays Irish music. I think this is enough for my first posting. Until later!

1 comment:

Anna Banana said...

Yay!! Your blog is functioning!! I'm so glad I thought to check it this morning. I added you to my links. I miss you tons, and I too wish walls could talk....I wonder what your old room would say....